Huji Gong (Huji Temple)
Huji Gong of Madou was constructed by the local residents during the 46th year of Emperor Cianlong (1781) and served as the seat for the Goddess Mazu. The Temple was thus also known as Mazu Gong (Temple of Mazu). The Temple was first constructed from bamboo sheds. As time went on, more and more settlers arrived and the area eventually became a prosperous town street.
During the reign of Emperor Daoguang, the area in the vicinity of Madou Beiji Dian (North Pole Hall) was known as Dingjie (the northern street), while the area around Huji Gong (Huji Temple) was known as Siajie (the southern street). Despite undergoing several reconstruction, the original layout of Huji Gong was largely preserved, making it a truly authentic two-century-old temple. Tainan City's master painter Chen Yu-fong made three pairs of Door Guardian paintings. Other artworks include master Chen Jhuan-yu's mosaics, master Chen Si-Bang's wooden sculptures, as well as a pair of wooden three-legged toads that may be the only one of its kind in the whole of Taiwan. These are valuable cultural artifacts that must be well preserved. Huji Gong is one of the founding temples of Madou's traditional folk festival of Shihba Niao, serving a key role in preserving and promoting this cultural activity. In 2009, the Temple was officially categorised as a historical landmark.
(2) Address: No. 106, Guangfu Road, Gusing Village, Madou District, Tainan City
(3) Telephone: 06-5720993