Introducing the Villages

Haipu Village

Area: 2.0950 square kilometers
Neighborhoods: 12
Households: About 415
Population: About 1205 individuals
Village Chief's Name: Yan-lin Lu
Telephone: 0919643159
Village Officer:Cai Ching-yu
Village Office Address: No. 43, Haipu, Haipu Village, Madou District
Village Office Telephone: 5704355

Introduction and history:

Over 300 years ago in the late Ming and early Qing Dynasty, Madou was originally a coastal region with Haipu Zhuang located on the coastal delta. Modern day Haipu Village of Madou District includes the two settlements of Beizaiwei, Haipu and part of the Zhuangliliao. In the early days, Beizaiwei Zhuang was part of Madou Bao, while Haipu Zhuang was part of Jialixing Bao. Subsequent administrative adjustments placed Beiziwei Zhuang and Haipu Zhuang under the jurisdiction of Madou Gai, although Beizaiwei Zhuang was placed under the 4th Bao within Beitou jurisdiction (Haipubao would include Zhuangliliao Zhuang and Congzailiao Zhuang). In 1946, Beizaiwei Zhuang and Haipu Zhuang were integrated into a single administrative unit for the first time to form Haipu Village of Madou Township.
Prince Chi's Temple at Haipu offers beauteous landscapes. The Princes of Madou, Haipu, and Nankunshen each have their share of legendary tales. For example, Madou's Yingxiangji (Pavilion Receiving Ritual) is a festival where the gods of each Village Temple would gather at Haipu to receive the Great Prince. The festival grew in scale over the years and became the only major religious event in the area. Prince Chi's Temple at Jinhaipu used to be covered in wetlands. It was also a place where local militia and young men were trained. The low-lying flats gave rise to the legendary tale where the Prince swam to Haipu.

Villagers of Haipu are mostly engaged in agriculture and aquaculture, rearing freshwater species such as shrimps and tilapia.